Thursday 1 February 2007

Sustained in The Silence

Read: Psalm 94; 16-23
In the multitude of my anxieties within me,
Your comforts delight my soul.

Hudson Talyor (1832-1905),
was the fonder of the China Inland Mission
and a great servant of God.
But after the ferocious Boxer Rev´beliion of 1900,
in which hundreds of his fellow missionaries were killed,
Taylor was emationally devastated
and his health began to fail.

Nearing the end of his life's journey,
he wrote, "I am so weak that I can't work,
I can't read my Bible, I can't even pray,
I can only lie still in God's arm like a child and trust."

Have you been passing through a time
when you are tired of body and sick of heart?
Do you find it difficult to focus your mind on biblical promises?
has it become hard for you to pray?
Don't write yourself off as a spiritual castaway.
You are joining a host of God's people
who have experienced the dark night of the soul.

When we endure such times, all we can do -- indeed,
all we need to do --
is lie still like a child in the arm of our heavenly Father.
Words aren't necesary.

A comforting Father doesn't expect his child to make speeches.
Neither does God. He knows we need His soothing care.
In times of trouble, His mercy hold us up (Psalm 94:18).
We may trust Him to carry us through the dark night of the soul
and on into the dawning night..

Under His wings I am safely abiding,
Though the night deepens and tempests are wild,
Still I can trust Him, I know He will keep me,
He has redeemed me, and I am His child.

When we have nothing left but God,
we'll find that God is enough.

No comments: